The pharmaceuticals industry in the Eastern Cape has a core of respected names, including the largest producer of generic drugs in South Africa. Long-term opportunities exist in the manufacture of generic drugs, in supply to the public health sector and in exports, especially to other African countries.
- HIV/AIDS medicines: Increasing demand for antiretroviral drugs.
- Generic medicines: Continued opportunities in public health and exports.
- Indigenous medicines: Research on herbs and traditional medicines.
- Raw materials: Production of fine chemicals for the industry.
• ECDC pharmaceuticals sector specialist
— Tel: 043-704-5606 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | Website: www.ecdc.co.za
• Department of Trade and Industry (pharmaceuticals)
— Tel: 0861-843-384 | Int. Tel: +27 11-254-9405 | E-mail: email@example.com | Website: www.dti.gov.za
• National Association of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers (NAPM)
— Tel: 011-442-3656 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association of SA
— Tel: 011-805-5100 | E-mail: email@example.com